Liberty County was created in 1777 from the colonial parishes of St. Andrews, St. James, and St. John. The land that made up these parishes was originally held by the Creek Indians. The county’s name honors Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett of Midway, who were Georgia’s first delegates to the Continental Congress and signers of the Declaration of Independence.
The county’s historic sites include the Midway Museum, the Dorchester Church, the LeConte Botanical Gardens, and Fort Morris.
Almost half of Liberty County’s usable land area is occupied by the U.S. Army installation Fort Stewart.
For technical assistance contact Sonny Emmert at 912-264-7218