Logo graphic for the Coastal Resources Division
Private Dock Permits

Recreational Private Dock Permits

Construction of a new dock or the modification of an existing dock requires a permit. The type of permit that is required depends on the size and location of the proposed structure. 


Private recreational docks are exempt from the Coastal Marshlands Protection Act for property owners having at least 50 feet of water frontage with upland suitable for the construction of a single-family residence. Through the delegated authority of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), the Department of Natural Resources, Coastal Resources Division issues private dock permits under the Programmatic General Permit (PGP0083) for docks that qualify.    


For docks that don’t qualify under the PGP0083 process, the USACE issues the Individual Permit (IP) along with the issuance of the State of Georgia Revocable License. It is also suggested that you contact your county entity to ensure that they are aware of the project and do not require any additional permits.

Docks that originate from an individual residential lot, serve a single family, and are not located on the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW), or areas restricted from the PGP0083, use the PGP83 Permit Application.

Docks that will serve more than one and up to four single families, or exceed the dimensions of the PGP0083, or are located on the ICW or areas restricted from the PGP0083, use the Individual Permit Application.

Contact your local permit coordinator at either our Brunswick headquarters office at (912) 264-7218 or at our Richmond Hill satellite office with questions or to schedule a pre-application site visit.